Thursday, August 20, 2009

Shadow

A life lived in shadow.

My father has always been a dominating, overbearing personality. When he is nearby, the sunlight is only allowed to shine on him and him alone. The rest of us exist in his shadow.

As I grew, I knew no better than to try and survive in that shadow. And while I wasn't alone, there comes a time when you realize something about this life is wrong.

Aren't parents supposed to move aside and let their children have their time to thrive in the light? I think so. But to do so, the child sometimes has to get away from the ever present shadow themselves. Waiting for the shadow to move might just doom you to a life in the dark.

The sun rises and sets, nothing we do will change that. And the shadows are always there. Eventually, where we choose to stand is up to us.

I chose to stand outside of my father's shadow.

And I choose to let my children stand beside me. Growing, thriving, sometimes for the better, sometimes not, but always in the light.

Theme Thursday

8 comments:

  1. Hmm... The sentiment is clear, but something isn't quite working. A bit rushed, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey . .welcome to the TT. Why does your blog have an 'explicit' warning? Living in the shadow of anyone is uncomfortable but if it's someone domineering and difficult, even harder. I agree, too many parents try to live their lives through their children rather than allowing their kids to shine of their own accord. Hey, I'm a n00b to your blog. Good luck and I hope you don't replicate the sins of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to theme thursday...standing in anyone's shadow is a very cold place to be. baino wrapped it up well...i'll be stopping back through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing else needs to be said. You are NOTHING like him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose to stand outside my Father's shadow, when I was around 13. He so wanted me to follow in his shadow and I was having none of it! Too, I have no regrets. Interesting take on the theme and welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post certainly stikes a chord with me. Welcome to Theme Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we can all relate to this in some way! Welcome to TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This struck a cord with me as well. Every child wants to get out of their parent's shadow, and the overbearing shadow is different for each family. I agree with JeffScape that your story is a bit rushed. What kind of shadow did your father cast and why? How did you stand up to your father to leave his shadow? There's a lot more there and I can't wait to read more about it. :-)

    Welcome to Theme Thursday!

    ReplyDelete